Albuquerque Employment Law Attorneys
Serving Employers Throughout New Mexico
Employment law is a broad practice area that encompasses all aspects of the employer-employee relationship. It is a crucial aspect of business, as it seeks to uphold the rights and obligations of employees and employers in the workplace. Hundreds of state and federal laws govern this broad area, as well as administrative regulations and court decisions. Many laws have been enacted to protect workers, such as minimum wage laws, while others have been passed to provide public benefits, such as workers’ compensation.
At Peifer, Hanson, Mullins & Baker, P.A., our firm handles all types of employment law issues, disputes, and litigation for employers across the state. Our elite team has resolved countless employment law matters from simple to highly complex. We are backed by decades of invaluable experience that can be used on your behalf to maximize your chances of a favorable outcome. Our firm is committed to providing you with proficient and dedicated legal representation both inside and outside the courtroom, through negotiated settlements as well as trials.
Employment Law Cases for Employers
Employment law is a critical aspect of running a business in New Mexico. It governs the relationship between employers and their employees, ensuring that both parties are held accountable for their actions. Employment law covers all areas of employment, from hiring to termination and beyond, based on both state and federal laws meant to ensure a safe and fair workplace.
For employers, it is essential to know the legal requirements and obligations you must comply with to avoid legal issues. Failure to provide fair treatment in the workplace can result in costly legal disputes, lawsuits, or administrative charges, which can damage your reputation and prevent business growth. Such issues can also jeopardize your ability to attract and retain new talent.
Common Issues Employers Face
Common issues that can lead to disputes for employers include but are not limited to:
- Workplace Discrimination: Employers must not make hiring or workplace decisions based on factors such as race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
- Harassment: Employers must ensure that employees are not subjected to any form of harassment, including verbal, physical, or visual forms.
- Wage and Hour Violations: Employers must comply with federal and state laws relating to minimum wage, overtime pay, and other benefits.
- Wrongful Termination: Employers must have a valid reason for terminating employment and not discriminate against employees based on protected characteristics.
Employee-employer disputes can often be avoided by taking proactive measures, such as developing clear workplace policies and procedures covering such issues as equal employment opportunity, anti-discrimination, how to report issues or concerns, and employer responsibilities in addressing these issues. Providing regular training on employment law issues and appropriate workplace behavior for managers and employees is also vital.
Should an issue arise, it is important to investigate and respond promptly.
How Our Employment Lawyers Can Help
Our firm can help you prevent and address issues concerning unfair treatment in the workplace in the following ways:
- Contact Preparation and Review: We can help you prepare and review contracts to ensure that they offer maximum protection for your business. By doing so, we can identify any legal or financial risks, negotiate terms, and protect your interests in the event of a breach or dispute.
- Evaluate Policies and Procedures: We can review your workplace policies and procedures to ensure that they comply with federal and state law and are fair and equitable.
- Provide legal advice: If an issue arises in the workplace, we can provide legal guidance on how to respond. We can also help develop a strategy to address the issue and prevent it from happening in the future.
- Represent you in legal proceedings: If you face legal action, our skilled trial lawyers can thoroughly prepare your case to defend your best interests throughout all proceedings.
If you are facing any type of employment law issue as an employee or employer, our firm is here to provide you with competent service. Backed by decades of invaluable experience, your case will be handled with the utmost care in seeking a favorable outcome.
PHMB Partner Matt Beck Testifies On Change to Legislative Ethics Bill
PHMB Attorney Rebekah Gallegos Selected for National Hispanic Bar Association Top Lawyers Under 40 Award
PHMB Partner Mark Baker Publishes Article on State Constitutional Interpretation with Judge Linda Vanzi
PHMB Partner Sara Sanchez Argues on Behalf of New Mexico Legislature Before the New Mexico Supreme Court
PHMB Attorney Rebekah Gallegos Receives UNM School of Law Alumni Promise Award
PHMB Helps Secure Injunction Against Paramilitary Group
PHMB Prevails for City Clerk in Decision Denying Sheriff Manny Gonzales Public Financing
PHMB Secures $27 Million Verdict for Family in Wrongful Death Trial